I have been counting down to this day for weeks.
To say I am excited is an understatement because, today is the day, should our little babe cooperate, where it's gender will be revealed!
But before you chastise me (because some have)...
Yes, I want to know the sex.
So many people have asked me why and offered their personal experiences of why not knowing the sex was such a wonderful surprise. The entire time smile and nod and then politely explain my reasoning. I want to personify my womb with a him or her, rather than "it". I want to decorate the nursery in a personal way for the baby and not be limited to gender neutral themes. I want my friends to be able to give gifts and not be confined to gender neutral items, either.
Yes, I know its not 100% accurate.
I will see how sure the ultrasound looks for gender diagnosis before discounting the prediction.
Is all that selfish? Perhaps, but its an option that I am given and not going to pass up. In my mind it only makes the pregnancy more enjoyable than it already is (which is pretty darned enjoyable, actually). Either way, I am positively giddy in anticipation of today's appointment. If anything I'll at least get to see the little munchkin squirming away and have some more ultrasound photos.
My little bambino/bambina and I at 18 weeks
Some of you may be wondering... What do I think I am having?
Truth be told I have no idea and the wives tales haven't been too helpful.
And I am wondering... What do you think I am having?
Given some facts about my pregnancy thus far that are answers to several wives tales.
- I haven't had any dreams indicating a sex of the baby.
- I'm craving milk, anything with tomato sauce, and nuts.
- The baby kicks more on my right side then left
- Its more active in the afternoon than morning
- I didn't have any morning sickness (praise the lord!)
- Shawn isn't sympathetically gaining weight with me (but I don't mind)
- My belly is shaped like a basketball
- I can't tell if I'm carrying high or low. Look at the picture and you tell me.
- I've only had the chance to listen to the heartbeat once and it was 150
- I feel like I look more amazing than ever
- If you can't tell from my photo I think my belly is huge, but I don't have experience to compare to.
- The Chinese Gender chart predicts a boy.
- I have not done the drain-o or wedding ring test.
And no worries, I'll share the result of the ultrasound soon. If you happen to know already (as in my close friends/family) please don't spoil it! :)