Out of the blue a friend I hadn't talked to since she changed jobs and I never run into anymore sent me a message on facebook. It was something along the lines of this:
My boyfriend said that I could finally post photos of him and I together on facebook as long as there are no photos of my ex and I together. I really want to post photos of him so could you please delete the photo of (Her Ex) and I walking into the wedding reception together that is in your facebook album? It has to be done, sorry. You'll have that photo forever for yourself so it should be okay if its not on facebook.
I sat at my computer for a moment mulling over what she had just asked. She was referring to the photo of her and one of my good friends walking into our wedding reception together. I still talk regularly to her ex and work with him occasionally. This is the photo...
Part of me thought it wasn't a big deal and the other part of me was irritated by the whole situation. A volley of thoughts cascaded through my mind as I mulled over the issue.
- Why should I care?
- Its not my fault her boyfriend has such weird and controlling demands
- Tons of people are paired with people they don't know, used to date, or don't like at weddings.
- But it does mean a lot to her.
- It is just facebook.... would anyone even notice if the photo is gone? Probably not.
- Did she even really give me a choice or make a demand, though?
- I should be allowed to post photos from my wedding reception if I want.
- What would I want if I was in her shoes?
I seriously considered both sides of the issue for a little while, but in the end I decided to just delete the darned photo. It just seemed easier and less confrontational. I'm not willing to lose a friend over something so dumb, even if it is irritating.
But I was wondering... if this situation happened to you what would you do?
Don't you just love how the dumbest things in life turn out to be issues?